The Joint Entrance Screening Test is to seeking admission for Ph.D / Integrated Ph.D Programme in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science or Neuroscience or Computational Biology.
JEST is conducted once in a year, i.e., in the months of February. The notifications announcing the JEST published in the months of October in the weekly journal of nation-wide circulation (Employment News).
Eligibility for JEST
Eligibility of JEST as follow
- M.Sc. in Physics (all participating Institutes).
Additionally, some institutes accept B.E. / B.Tech. / M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in disciplines of Applied Physics and Mathematics, as listed below.
- M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
- B.E. or B.Tech. will be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
- M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics will be cnsidered at IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR.
- MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered at IPR.
- M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Biophysics or Biochemistry will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- B.Tech Eng. Phys.will be considered at TIFR and NCRA-TIFR..
- M.E./ M.Tech in Applied Physics will be considered at NISER.
- M.Sc. in Astronomy/Optics/Photonics/Biophysics also will be considered at RRI.
- MSc. in Physics, Chemistry and Bio Physics will be considered at SNBNCBS.
Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. in Computer Science and related disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
Ph D in Neuroscience at NBRC
- M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.A in Computer Science
Ph D in Computational Biology at IMSc
- M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / MCA in any engineering or science discipline, with good mathematical skills and strong interest in biological problems.
Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech – Ph.D Programme (Physics)
- BSc in Physics (Major/Hons), or in Physics and Mathematics (Physics cannot be an allied/subsidiary/minor subject) will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- B. Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IMSc.
- B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics will be considered in IIA.
- B.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech in Engineering Physics , with a minimum of first class marks, will be considered at NISER.
- B.Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS.
- B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tec. will be considered for Integrated M.Sc – PhD at Bose Institute.
- B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics/Computer Science/Electronics) / B.E. / B.Tech. will be considered for Integrated M.Sc – PhD at Bose Institute.
Integrated Ph.D Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.C.A. in Computer Science or related disciplines and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
Integrated M.Tech – Ph.D. Programme at IIA
- M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics.
Integrated Ph.D. Programme at IISER Kolkata and IISER. Thiruvananthapuram.
- B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E. / B. Tech. in any discipline.
M. Sc. Programme at HRI.
- B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E./B.Tech. degree in any discipline
- HRI is starting a new M.Sc. programme in Physics from 2017. The Integrated Ph.D. programme in Physics at HRI is discontinued from 2017.
Joint SPPU-IUCAA MSc Physics (Astrophysics) programme
- B. Sc. (Physics and Mathematics) or B.E. / B. Tech. in any branch of engineering, with a minimum of 55% marks.
JEST EXAM PATTERN
The pattern of JEST test examination is divided into three part that is Part-A, Part-B, Part-C, as follows .
Part A contains 15 questions, and carry 3 (three) marks each for correct answer, and -1 (negative one) mark for incorrect answer.
Part B contains 10 questions and each carries 3 (three marks). These questions must be answered by integers of 4 digits each. Answer these questions on the OMR by filling in bubbles in the OMR sheet. There are NO NEGATIVE MARKS for these questions.
Part C contains 25 questions, and each carries 1 (one) mark for the correct answer, and -1/3 (negative one third) mark for incorrect answer. Multiple choice questions have only one correct answer.
Visit Official Website For More Information About exam
Frequently asked question (FAQ’S)
- What are the disciplines on which JEST examination is conducted ?
You can appear for the JEST examination in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science but not for both.
2. Are there different tests for admission in Integrated Ph. D & Ph. D. programmes?
No. A common examination is conducted both for Ph. D. and integrated Ph. D. programmes.
3. Is there any limit to the number of times one can apply for JEST examination?
No, there is no such restriction on the number of times one can appear for the JEST examination.
4.Is there any age limit for taking JEST examination?
There is no restriction on age for appearing in JEST examination. However, each participating institute has its own eligibility criteria. For details on the eligibility criteria of the participating institutes candidates are advised to visit their websites.
5. What is the level of questions in the examination ?
The questions are based on the general syllabii of graduation and post-graduation level courses offered by various Indian universities and institutions. JEST question papers are normally not made available.
6. Which institutes offer a Ph.D. Degree in Theoretical Computer Science ?
Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc), Chennai is the only institution which currently offers a Ph. D. in Theoretical Computer Science.
7. Which institutes offer a Ph.D. Degree in Neuroscience or Computational Biology?
National Brain Research Centre (NBRC), Gurgaon is the only institution which currently offers a Ph. D. in Neuroscience. Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc) Chennai offers a PhD in Computational Biology. Please note that JEST is meant as a means for students from a Physics background to take up research in Neuroscience or Computational Biology, and interested students have to take the PHYSICS JEST examination. Please visit the NBRC webpage or the IMSc webpage for more information.
8. What degrees does one receive in the Integrated PhD program in Theoretical Computer Science?
Candidates receive a M. Sc. degree on completing the course requirements in the first two years of the graduate school, and a PhD degree on completing the graduate school.
9. What is the validity period of JEST score?
JEST score is valid for only one year.
10. What is the Full Form Of JEST ?
Joint Entrance Screening Test