What happens if you eat hair?

If you accidentally ingest a small amount of hair, it is usually not a cause for concern, as the human digestive system can typically process and pass small foreign objects like hair without any issues. Hair is made of a protein called keratin, and it’s not easily digested, so it usually passes through the digestive system without being broken down.

However, consuming larger quantities of hair, or doing so regularly, can lead to potential problems:

  1. Digestive Discomfort: Ingesting a significant amount of hair can lead to digestive discomfort, such as a feeling of fullness or abdominal discomfort.
  2. Trichobezoars: In some cases, excessive hair consumption can lead to the formation of trichobezoars, which are masses of hair in the stomach or intestines. These can cause blockages and may require medical intervention to remove.
  3. Pica: The persistent consumption of non-nutritive substances, including hair, may be associated with a condition known as pica, which can have various health implications.
  4. Hairballs in Pets: It’s worth noting that excessive hair ingestion can also be a concern for pets, such as cats, which groom themselves and may ingest hair during the process. This can lead to the formation of hairballs, which can cause gastrointestinal issues in animals.

In general, it’s best to avoid eating hair, and if you have concerns about hair ingestion, particularly if it’s becoming a habit or causing discomfort, it’s advisable to consult a healthcare professional.

Leave a Reply